Johnny Manziel was one of the most divisive players going into the NFL Draft. He’s already a household name amongst football fans, casual or not, for just about everything that has earned him the “Johnny Football” moniker. There was plenty of conjecture on where he would be picked, mainly because of his off-field reputation. So much in fact, that the majority of the New England Patriots report on him was almost entirely full of detail on that repuation.
By: Adam Pyde – @Adam_Pyde
The Patriots sure don’t seem to doubt his talent and ability to play, but the seemed to have issues the other parts of him that are key to becoming successful. Family, attitude, work ethic, coachability, professionalism.
Some highlights for quick reading (Courtesy of BroBible):
- From the vibe of online articles, father seems a little too involved and overstepping his boundaries.
- Vibe on this guy keeps getting worse. Support staff members are sick of him and ready for him to go. Described as a cocky, me-guy.
- Loves football, FBI is high as well. Everything has been pretty well-documented in online articles about the kid, but sources say he’s a spoiled brat (grandfather gives him allowance, father bought him luxury car).
- Comes from ‘outlaw bloodlines’, mom moved the family to Kerrville to get away from father’s wild family. Father’s family is said to be very shady people, always into something, they are the root of Johnny’s personality.
- Couple of TXTC sources say can’t yell/scream at him or he shuts down; has walked away from Kingsbury in the past.
- Doesn’t study the game, said to know about 60% of the offense in ’12, never watches film; one source said only time he watched film during ’12 was before ALUN.
- Knows how to scheme the system, arrogant and full of himself, but he’s not smug to coaches. Has been like this since Day 1, has never gone to class, goes to beat of own drum, but has ultimate confidence.
How teammates view him:
- Teammates don’t dislike him, but there’s some resentment, more so in the offseason when he isn’t coming to workouts and they are busting their butt.
Johnny Manziel was selected 22nd overall by the Cleveland Browns.
Big hat tip to Bro Bible for the report.