Back in October, we told you how Cristiano Ronaldo was set to make a rare appearance on a high profile chat show by agreeing to an interview with Jonathan Ross.
Real Madrid’s all-time leading scorer agreed to break his strict ban on chat shows like Ross’s in order to promote his new movie, Ronaldo, which documents 14 months behind-the-scenes in the striker’s life.
The interview has actually already taken place, and will be screened on ITV this Saturday, but a few details have already begun leaking out surrounding what was discussed in the interview, namely January’s Ballon d’Or awards.
— Jonathan Ross Show (@JRossShow) November 10, 2015
The accolade given to the best footballer on Earth is currently in Ronnie’s possession, having won last year, but he’s admitted to Ross that he thinks his rival Leo Messi will be taking home the gong for the fifth time in his career when the gong is dished out on January 11 in Switzerland.
He told the presenter:
“To be honest I think Messi is going to win this year because this kind of trophy, it depends on votes.
“You win competitions, you win Champions League you win the league in terms of individual.
“I did probably the best season of my career which is good and I was the highest scorer in Europe [but] it’s all about votes, it’s difficult and to be honest I’m not very worried about that because as I said many times, I never thought I’d win three times to be honest.
But, as he turns 31 in February, does he see himself winning it ever again? He added:
“Well I’m still young I think… I think I can, I want to play six, seven years more and I think I’m still able to win collective things because if you don’t win collective things, you cannot win individual awards.”