The English midfielder may be at the beginning of a three-week suspension at Rangers, but his new book is to be published on Thursday and that will undoubtedly lead to more headlines about him.
Barton gave some interviews before getting his Gers ban and today they were published by several outlets, including The Guardian.
In that particular interview, Barton follows up claims in his book that Celtic tried to hijack his move to Rangers in the summer.
And, as you’d expect with someone who has been so divisive since arriving in Scottish football, that’s proving to be particularly interesting for fans today.
But Lawwell isn’t interested in letting the story grow arms and legs – and has instead moved to clarify Celtic’s position on it.
The Hoops chief executive released a statement this morning in which he says Barton had been misinformed by a middle man agent and that his club never had any interest in the former Burnley man.
Lawwell said, per stv.tv: “I think Joey’s been had by a bit of a matchmaker here.
“I remember it well, we had just announced Brendan as our new manager and I was with our Company Secretary in London at the time.
“An agent called me saying that Joey was going to sign for Rangers but he would really prefer to come to Celtic and were we interested in signing him, but it wasn’t something we wanted to pursue.
“These things happen to players sometimes in football, but needless to say we wish Joey well at his new club.”
Barton may disagree with that and see Lawwell’s comments as the natural reaction to being linked with a player who appears to be universally hated by the Celtic support.
But there’s no doubt the story will rumble on – especially when Barton’s ‘No Nonsense’ book is released on Thursday and fans can read his verdict on the move to Rangers and the alleged interest from their rivals.