Rangers boss Steven Gerrard has confirmed he’s eager to sign new players before the start of the new Premiership season next week – but stopped short of confirming his club had made a bid for Hearts striker Kyle Lafferty.
As we told you previously, the Gers have reportedly had a £200,000 bid for the Northern Irishman rejected by the Tynecastle side earlier this week, as Gerrard continues to try and overhaul his squad before a showdown with Aberdeen a week today.
Rangers had also been linked with a move for Man City youngster Kean Bryan, but Gerrard has admitted that deal is now dead, as he confirmed he’s ‘in a rush’ to make sure he gets the players he wants.
Speaking after his side’s 3-0 friendly win over Wigan Athletic on Sunday afternoon, via the Sun, Gerrard said: “Have we made a bid?
“I have got nothing to say about it, he is a Hearts player. In terms of numbers of bids, I am not aware.
“The Bryan deal is finished.
“We have loads of targets that we have been monitoring and looking at. Unfortunately we couldn’t get an agreement with Kean. He wants to keep his options open and we respect that.
“You can see quite clearly today that we need a centre-back so that is definitely an area that we are trying to add in. Hopefully it will be sooner rather than later.
“I need a centre half and a striker. Am I hopeful before Sunday? I hope it is tomorrow.
“I am in a rush.”
Having signed 10 players in the off-season already, do Rangers definitely need to sign a striker and a centre-back?
And is Lafferty the right sort of player?